Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Mac Deal

Okay, so as most people know, I am a hardcore PC person. While I did first learn to type on an Apple IIE and remember the days when floppy disks really were floppy, I did convert to the world of PC’s. Not that I’m a Microsoft lover (I do have a hard time complaining as Bill Gates kinda helped put me through college.....) but I do love PC’s. I think better on PC’s. My mind was made for the PC. I will agree that Mac’s have the leg up when it comes to most “creative” things - video editing, art things, etc. But in general, I’ll take a PC over a Mac any day. I have been known to make comments such as “PCs are computers, Macs are toys.”

Fast-forward to now. I own a MacBook. Several factors pushed me towards the decision to become a Mac owner. I think the best one I heard was from a friend of a friend who has similar feelings about PCs and Macs that I do. His logic went something like this, “I go to work with PC’s all day long. PC = work. When I come home, I come home to a Mac. It’s my “fun toy” - it means I don’t have to work.” I still dissed him...I think I told him he went over to the dark side. BUT, after time went by, his logic made sense. Since getting my Mac, here are other benefits I’ve noticed:

-Being able to talk both “PC” and “Mac”
-Becoming familiar with Mac applications
-Allowing my creativity to flow more easily with Mac applications

Now, I’m not saying that everyone who owns a PC should run out and get a Mac. I’m just saying that I’m enjoying the benefits of the world that Apple has opened me up to. (What good does it do any of us to be closed-minded?) Don’t worry, I haven’t tossed my PC love in the trash - in fact, I probably would have bought another PC if it weren’t for the fact that I have a PC laptop for work and am thus able to choose at my convenience which I’d rather use depending on my computing needs and activities. I think having both is actually really nice.....

Also, I don’t know if it really is me or if the media has gotten to me, but I honestly “think” better in front of a PC (i.e. writing papers, etc.) but feel my creative juices flow better on a Mac (i.e. photos, videos, music, blogging). Anyhow, this is my advice: don’t knock it ‘till you try it - why not enjoy the best of both worlds?

No comments:

Post a Comment