Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Night of Class

While online classes started on Monday, it didn't really feel like school had begun. Tonight was my first class of the fall (or at least my first in person class of the fall), EDEA 780H Seminar: College Student Affairs Administration. Let me preface this by saying that I'm still not sure what my schedule for this semester will be. Since the Assessment & Evaluation seminar was cancelled, I've been scrambling. 

I like that this is a small seminar (I think there are 8 of us in the class) and that we'll be discussing current higher education and student affairs events in class. I was a little more hesitant about the final project. While flipping through the syllabus in class, I wondered if my heart was in this class. It's been awhile since I've really worked with students (not that I don't enjoy it) but I'm not entirely sure this is the direction I'll be heading in. -However, I think the argument to be made, regardless of what sect of higher education you're in, students are central. You should care about the students and be aware of their circumstances - they are the heartbeat of the university!

The main learning outcome of the course is professional development within student affairs administration - not just development per se, but the capacity and understanding of the importance for continuous professional development - knowing what resources are out there and how to make use of them. As an advocate for the idea of the "lifelong learner," I love that this is the central goal of the course (through a student affairs lens, of course). 

The final project, however, is incredibly daunting. I sat there thinking to myself, "I'm not even sure if my heart is in this course entirely, how can I fall in love with this project???" The project is to propose, develop, and deliver (and later reflect upon) a professional development workshop to student affairs professionals. Ack! My heart sank. I so don't belong in this class. I decided not to make any rash decisions...but if I can't invest my heart and brain into the project, I should invest it elsewhere. 

After letting the idea settle a little longer - and after picking up the syllabus again a few hours after class ended, a BRILLIANT idea hit me. I know what I want to do. I have an AMAZING idea. The wheels in my head are spinning. Is my idea viable? Can I pull it off? -We shall see!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment