Thursday, October 15, 2009

Reflection of this Semester; Planning for the Next

It is true that having a schedule that is incredibly full sucks your time and your energy from you. However, it is also true that when your schedule is incredibly full, you manage your time more wisely and become even more (dare I say it?) energized. In class last night, Dr. M drew a bell curve on the board with "productivity" on the Y-axis and "commitments" on the X-axis - that there is a threshold (that is, of course, different for different people) to the amount commitments one can have and be at their peak with regards to productivity. (This was all in response to a discussion about busy students and the important lesson of learning how to say "no" to involvements.)

Anyhow, I met with my advisor, Dr. E, last week to discuss the past, present, and future over lunch - as we usually do during advising. She asked me how I was doing with my three classes and working full time. I told her that it's actually going quite well - I think these three classes, and where things are right now, I'm really at my peak. I am challenged, I am able to stay on top of my readings and papers, and I'm getting a decent amount of sleep, too. (No all-nighters yet, though I will admit to taking a day off from work to work on a paper.) I've even managed to watch a decent amount of tv. No, I don't spend a ton of time doing "fun" things over the weekend, but, well...fun to me is sitting in a cafe and reading and writing. (I'm not the stay out late and party hardy kind of gal, in case you haven't noticed.....) Anyhow, I really feel like I'm thriving. Yes, it would be better if I could squeeze in gym time and all, but overall, I'm really happy with where I am. I am also very aware that just one more thing could push me over (and then I'd be sliding down the other end of that bell bell curve.....)

But back to meeting with Dr E...It's always fun to talk to professors -particularly in their offices when you can peruse their bookshelves!- they're always busy, involved, and full of ideas. Due to my decision to go full time this semester, once this semester is over, I'm actually only 9 credits away from being done. Make that 6 credits and my "plan B." Actually, make that 3 credits, higher ed law or finance, and my "plan B." (By the way, can we change the name to something else? Isn't that the name of like...emergency contraception?)

So those extra three elective credits I need...well...I came up with this awesome idea. I realized that I'm interested in the following things: 1) teaching, 2) research, and 3) technology. This semester I've been doing research on online social networking, but wouldn't it be great to learn more about teaching and perhaps...get some experience doing some online teaching? I presented my idea to Dr E - I could take internship credit with her and be a TA for her online research methods course! That way I'd get some actual experience on the "other side" and will give me some direction and motivation for doing some research on online pedagogy. Dr. E thought it was a great idea. Yay! I'll keep thinking and we'll start meeting in December to discuss the class. =) So excited!

1 comment:

  1. Show the virtual reality of uni admin ass process outline modification effects.... for the creative commons iPhone flowchart flashcard application bluetooth projector by blockposters.com wall mural (flowmotion book style) process outline overlay GTD flowchart plus middle school conflict resolution, auto mechanic, restaurant dishwasher / salad or fry and prep, kid’s homework flowchart to clean their room GTD podcast, college dorm lifestyle and roommates like kitchen / bath / laundry / living room house rules troubleshooting flowchart which at restaurant stations switches mural posters not like the poster sales places but on a leftright slide shuffle... and the following of the twitter, ning, facebook, blogs, professional journals, real time information (dissertation and thesis context realtimeline maps the duration of your college experience non-tenure) as research assistant for ecology students + sociology or anthgy + poical science + nursing students... their curriculum is so technically dense that they have no time to correlate real time media to their studies... then the newslutter goes to friends and other students each week or month for 25 cents to one dollar... price decreases until the best green bloggers take over the task and perform the service for free off the ad revenue without india greenwashing. FLASH. Access free software personal development audio library (+ reverse peer review is quantification by the accrditon of the materials used by students where the quality of the paper produced by the student dictates the price of the material highlighting the reference correlations of the new paper from the sciific journal) {this means that if you write crap and students try to use it for reference and the student can only make a crap paper from your professional writing (including books) you will be heavily TAXED on your profits to reinvest into research which makes the actual intellectual collabora advnc which your work should have done but did not and you will not be allowed to publish after 3 garbage publications)} for the students and senior or disabled tutoring mentoring broadband volunteer logistics container garden compost grocery + restaurant waste with human waste solar oven’s to kill the red worm eggs? rotating composter upcycle instructables.com retired 8 old people selling their house and building a sustnblity house with touch screen health monitoring daily user journal + arm bracelet from phillips with health based meal planning software based flowchart selection and prep home health aid and neigod based vehicle equipped for transport to hospital from paramedic who lives in the neighborhood... sound proof sleep chambers allows the two mobile home health aide's to rest in the 16 (4 for students, mentor rent, or guests) elderly enabled soundproof sleep chambers in one room enables the other rooms for office and crafts space with the outdoor living space wildlife habitat... ET cetera.

    find examples of workflow charts and show GTD stuff... The wheel of buddhist terms poster... is ethics not sociology not religion not philosophy not bigoted rhetoric like the bible teaching today’s nurse to administer diabetic medication from a pain pill bottleB2 weapons of mass instruction leapfrog the AI multiverse uploaded to the satellites as a distributed 512bit OS adaptation from the scanning electron microscopes TV chips inside the chips... printing the organic circuit boards schematics via the cricket brain neurotransmitter’s for the 4000 surrogate parents of the 8 year old genius egg genius semen mixture of mandarin and japanese + english technical density translation’s as edutainment content selection assistants; documentary-log.com earthcinemacircle.web

    developing daily workflow on which project we are working... each barn’s and noble context map flowchart has a public wiki which lets you select transparency overlay for each of the previously successful flowchart modi (context vari

    ReplyDelete