Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In the News.....

So much news to cover! Last week I felt I didn't have as much in The Chronicle that jumped out at me...this week, however, was overload!

Well, I guess we'll start out with the APA 6th Edition ordeal. *sigh* Well, at least we'll be able to cite youtube now, right???

I didn't read the full length of this article, just perused it, but I think it's interesting. It's about God and evolution in higher education. I think it's important to note that some people have grown up believing only in creationism, knowing nothing else and others (like myself) grew up with evolution and literally knew nothing about creationism. While there is bias on both sides, I think it's a good idea for everyone to at least learn about both sides and talk about it...else we walk around in our own worlds not knowing what everyone else thinks and knows...you know?

Related to that, Mark Bauerlein presents an article here on ideological bias on campuses. Now without getting too political, I think that many in academia due tend to lean to the left. I recall that on my college campus, that was a large criticism...our student (and faculty/staff) body was so incredibly diverse in every way...except perhaps politically. Yep, at a women's college where homosexuality was totally okay and totally normal, "the closet" was where the republicans, NOT the lesbians, hid. Those that I knew that claimed to be republicans said they were socially liberal, and I've had several friends that entered college as republicans, and exited college as democrats or moderates.

Another important difference is presented in this great little piece, about what I think is often the big "diversity" elephant in the room...socioeconomic status. I didn't feel completely out of place at my college's campus, but I definitely thought there was more they could have done with regards to SES. (I've heard that more attention has been paid to this since I've left.)

I thought this author made an interesting point in drawing parallels between Project Runway and graduate school (imagine Tim Gunn in the advisor role...) It's fun. Check it out!

This article may well be my Chronicle Article of the Week! Eric Hoover discusses several perspectives out there about the millenial generation. It's long, but totally worth the read.

Talking a little more about generational differences this is a fabulous reflection written by a professor who participated in a theatre production where he got to see students "backstage" and talks about some of the differences between his undergraduate education and that of students these days. Yep, the world is a different place now and students are very busy people! It's great to see professors pondering how to engage with students.

I had hoped to have time to blog and reflect on the surprise (shock, really) that our president, Barack Obama was the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. There was so much talk about it - good, bad, and ugly. My thoughts? Well, initially it was a combination of, "good for him!" and "but what has he done?" After more consideration and thinking about the attitudes and rhetoric of our past leaders when it comes to the U.S.'s role in the world (i.e. UN), Obama has definitely carried with him a message and an air of diplomacy. Admit it, Americans are very insular in their views. Many citizens of other countries have a better understanding of the world than we do...I think it was commedienne Kathy Griffin that said the U.S. is kind of like the "Mary Kate and Ashley" of the U.N. -I thought it was hilarous, but true. We care about other countries, insofar as we are getting the return...a very..."We don't care about you. Unless it concerns us or you have something of interest to us."

Anyhow, Rachel Maddow had an excellent segment on her show about Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize that I hope you take the time to watch. I think it says something that an international body awarded the peace prize to Obama based on "what he has done" and while we can ask "what has he done?" perhaps being an American leader that embodies diplomatic ideals in and of itself is a big enough change to our neighbors around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment