Saturday, September 5, 2009

Shifting Paradigms in Student Affairs...

Last week's readings for class were from Jane Fried's text "Shifting Paradigms in Student Affairs." As we discussed in class, I'm not sure exactly where she is headed - and thus far, the reading has been incredibly theory-based. I'm so glad that I took student development, student affairs and qualitative research methods BEFORE this course. Many references were made to paradigms, culture, and lenses, positivism, constructivism, as well as to student development theory - having already done some heavy reading in these areas (I think) make it easier for me to grasp the concepts she is throwing at us.

I think that thus far, the main points of the reading are: 1) the importance of diversity in an emerging paradigm, 2) understanding limitations of paradigms (i.e. of the scientific paradigm), and 3) the principles of American cultural paradigm that serve as the basis of society (and thus, the basis of American higher education) including: monotheism, two valued logic, materialism, individualism, and that a single reality exists.

Have we moved beyond this paradigm? Yes and no. I think we have come far from where society was when this book was written, but perhaps that may be more in understanding than it is in practice.

I've written many notes in the margins of the first three chapters, but for the sake of time, I will share just one. In discussing the limits of the scientific paradigm, Fried discusses the problem that life situations are not completely a cause and effect relationship (meaning that if x happens, this will cause y to happen, regardless). The important thing to remember is context - there is a context and, "Changing the context may well change the facts" (p. 34). This made me think of healthcare and the healthcare debate...imagine how much we could save if dollars were put into prevention and early diagnosis?

Anyhow, I better go read chapters 4-6 and catch up on reading the Chronicle and Inside Higher Ed...but before I run off, I wanted to share what my awesome idea for my project for this course! (Which I am incredibly excited about and mentioned in a previous post!!!) So for this course, one of our assignments is to create an "area of expertise" within student affairs and present a workshop to student affairs administrators. Daunting? Absolutely...what do I have to offer? Then I realized - hello, technology! Exactly what the focus will be, I'm not sure, but it will have something to do with the "digital generation," technology on campus, and the role technology has played in the role of students of this generation. I've found some awesome books on this topic already, and already started collecting articles on technology & social networking in the context of higher education. So, SO excited. (Prospectus due on Wednesday!!!)

Oh! One more exciting note. I took the recommendation of Dr. M and contacted J.J., the "local expert" on generational studies in higher education (he gives workshops, etc.). I've got a meeting with him on Thursday to toss some ideas around with him and see if he's got any ideas/recommendations or other connections for me! Man, I need to get my act together!

If I am able to put something good together, I will consider submitting it to the HERA (Hawaii Educational Research Association) conference. :) Yay for technology, and yay for higher education!

No comments:

Post a Comment