Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Reading List

I've been going back and forth about whether or not to take a course over the summer, ETEC 698 Technology and Social Justice. My rationale for not taking the course is that perhaps I could use a break (I do work full time) and just spend time relaxing and catching up on my "for fun" reading list. You have to understand that for me, being surrounded by books and coffee is heaven. Of course, the course sounds fabulous, given my love for both technology and social justice...and perhaps it might be the perfect direction for my mind to be heading in after college student development.

I would also like to share my reading list here, in hopes that if I post it up and shout to the world that I'm planning on reading these books that I actually will! So, without further adieu...my summer (or perhaps year-long) reading list:

1) Banker to the Poor (Mohammad Yunus)- I've already started in on this one. A friend recommended it to me and mentioned that a local book club will be picking it up as one of their readings and I might have to join in. The book is by Pulitzer-Prize winning economist Mohammad Yunus who came up with the idea of micro-lending/microcredit. I think it will actually fit in quite well as a reading to go along with the technology and social justice course...
2) The Audacity of Hope (Barack Obama) - I had been hoping to read this for awhile but just haven't gotten around to it. Again, another reading that will, I think, tie in nicely with class!
3) Postethnic America (David A. Hollinger) - Another read I've been hoping to get to but just haven't.
4) Precarious Life (Judith Butler) - I bought this in hopes that I'd be able to read it with a book group but just haven't gotten around to it.
5) A Man Without a Country (Kurt Vonnegut)- Another one that's been sitting on my shelf. I think this will be interesting to read alongside with The Audacity of Hope...
6) The Gatekeepers (Jacques Steinberg) and College Unranked (Llyod Thacker) - These have also been sitting on my shelf for entirely too long. More admissions stuff for my brain to eat.
7) Generation Me (Jean Twenge)- Read a chapter for my last class which was great and will borrow it from DrM.
8) The Ghost Orched (Carol Goodman)- A book that didn't get the best of reviews, but she's one of my favorite authors.
9) Oryx and Crake (Margaret Atwood)- It's really a disgrace that I bought this book at least 3 or 4 years ago and still haven't read it. Haven't read any Atwood in awhile.
10) To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)- I'm reading this because it's a "disgrace" that I haven't yet read it!

Here are the books that I saw the last time I was at the bookstore that I wanted to read but they're at the bottom of the list since I've already got a 10 book waiting queue.
11) Supercapitalism - Robert B. Reich
12) Class Matters - Bill Keller
13) The Trouble with DIversity - Walter Benn Michaels
14) Animal Vegetable Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver
15) Outliers - Malcom Gladwell

No comments:

Post a Comment