Friday, May 8, 2009

The End of the Semester

Well, my previous post was my final post for this course, but don’t worry, it will not be my final blog post! I will continue blogging reflections on education, sociology, technology, life, and what’s going on in the world. Of course, if something pops into my mind as related to college student development, I’ll be sure to make mention of that as well (I’ve already got one!)

To anyone out there who happens upon my blog, I have this to say to you: Start a blog of your own! For me, it’s a fun way to process and think about my course readings…and I think it also helped me retain the information better. I’d do my readings, think about them (knowing that I was going to blog about it), pick a specific idea or perhaps do an overview, and say what it was about, what I thought about it, and sometimes relate it to myself in some way. All these efforts have helped me to retain more of what I’ve read and learned than had I not had my blog to reflect on it. (Not to mention, this is much better than my undergraduate method, which I won’t mention here…but let’s just say it involved last-minute reading during finals…..) Another great thing about blogging is that if you want to look back on something you wrote about before, it’s really easy to do a search to find the blog (as opposed to a journal where you’ll have to flip through pages).

Another thing I've started to do this semester is to read the Chronicle (or at the very least, skim the headlines for interesting articles) daily. I also follow The Chronicle, Women in Higher Ed, Inside Higher Ed, and Mount Holyoke College on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment