Friday, January 23, 2009

THAT Erikson!

I started thinking about what DrM said about Freud vs. Erikson. Erikson built on Freud (and Chickering and Chickering & Reisser later built on Erikson), but with the notion that we have some control in our personality. ALSO, that the hardcore personality theorists say that once you're in you're 20s, your personality does not change.

I just wanted to point out this Jim Henson quote that I enjoy:
"If you take who you are and work with it over and over again, there's a pretty good chance you'll end up who you want to be."

Why am I pointing this out? Because regardless of your personality (however set it may be), I believe we control our decisions and our actions. So the moral of this little story is: Don't deny your autonomy!

ALSO, I was surfing around online to find out more about Erikson (I remember studying his personality theory in my undergraduate psychology classes) and found that his son was Kai Erikson! THAT Erikson! Got it! Kai Erikson is a sociologist that studied natural disasters and I distinctly remember reading "Everything In Its Path" about the flood of Buffalo Creek (which - if memory serves me right - is in the Appalachian mountains) in the second semester of my first year of college. Yes, the book was that good - I actually remember it!

No comments:

Post a Comment