Thursday, January 22, 2009

1/21/09 Class reflection

More thoughts on maturity...
DrM wrote these on the board as differences between maturity and immaturity where one or the other may be seen as mature or immature based on personal biases and the way we were socialized to determine what maturity is:
-family contributor vs. making it on your own
-hurry up and get there vs. taking your time
-emotional control: shhhh vs. "in touch"
-self-confidence vs. humility

My thoughts? See...this is why I'd make a great candidate for a jury (shhh! don't tell them!) I really can see both sides, and at times in my life I've been on different sides of each of them - or have at least seen others on both sides. My honest deduction is maturity has to do with balance and awareness. Here are a few examples:

1) When I was in my undergraduate years, I had a class on social theory. There were some students who would talk and talk, seemingly just to hear their own voices, spewing out drivel, blah, blah, blah. Conversely, there were students who would sit with their mouths zipped and wouldn't contribute to the discussion at all. Then there was this girl whom I admired so much because she didn't speak much, but when she did, she was able to succinctly and clearly communicate exactly what she was thinking and relate it to what we were talking about in such a seamless and effortless manner. Brilliant. She knew when it was appropriate to keep things in her head and when and what to share.

2) When I left Hawaii for college, I stayed on the mainland even after I graduated and was there for a total of 7 years. I had my own life and was living completely independent of my parents and then I decided to move back to Hawaii due to the health of a family member. Was my decision to move mature or immature?

3) I am one of those "hurry up and get there" people. If we have a goal and a direction, what the heck are we waiting for? Yet over time, I've come to realize that some things cannot be forcd. It's kind of like the difference between being goal oriented vs. process oriented. If you doggedly and blindly pursue your goals, you will be unable to appreciate the process and if you focus on enjoying the process too much, you may forget or never reach your goal!

Balance + awareness = maturity.

Other things:
*Notes to self for Chickering and Reisser reading - get a general picture and don't dwell on the details, look for definitions and frameworks of vectors.
*Yay! Stan and I are going to be presenting on Kitchner & King and we're going to ROCK the RJM!
*So I have this blog. But what will I do for the other assignment? So many options.....

No comments:

Post a Comment