Saturday, November 20, 2010

Philosophy, Social Theory, and Other Stuff

Recently I've been thinking about the many things I don't know and haven't studied (or have studied but don't remember) and how these unknowns could really add to my education. I feel the need to return to my roots of sociology, refresh my memory of classical and contemporary social theory, and look at them from the education perspective. I also feel the need to get a good overview of philosophy, something that I haven't studied. I took a philosophy of law class in college, but that course was very specific...I didn't get a broad background in philosophy. So I'm interested in learning about philosophy in the same way I'd like to refresh my social theory, and I'd also be interested in learning more about educational philosophies as well.

In my online searches, I've happily stumbled upon an introductory philosophy text (entirely online with links to youtube and everything) that I'd like to read. Do I really have the time for this? Probably not. Do I have other articles to be reading and other papers to be writing? Absolutely. --Is that going to stop me? No.

Getting started:

A. List the five or so most important questions or problems you think about.
-What is the purpose of life? (Specifically, the purpose of MY life...)
-What is the purpose of education?
-What does the future hold? (Overall, and specifically with regards to the fields of technology and education.)
-How can modern technological advances be used for "good" and for connecting people all over the world?
-How can I do good in this world in this life?

B. If you had virtually unlimited financial resources at your disposal what would you begin doing with your life?
-I would probably continue my education, travel a bit (hello, Greece!), and start up an organization to help educate disenfranchised populations or improve education on the whole.

C. What is Philosophy?
Philosophy is many things - a thought process, a belief system, a way to make sense of the world.

D. How do you use the term "philosophy"?
When I discuss the views/opinions I have on something that I've put a great amount of thought and research into. They are ideas I usually arrive at based on my experiences in life, and I usually maintain an openness about my philosophies - I am willing to consider new information to add to or otherwise inform my philosophy.

E. How do others use the term "philosophy"? Give examples.
Usually it is in reference to something someone has an opinion about (not really a philosophy at all) and usually something someone has pondered/experienced/learned from and about a great deal. Some people merely state an opinion and say that is their philosophy about something - for others it is more than mere opinion.

F. What good is philosophy?
Philosophy helps you think, helps you connect thoughts and experiences, and perhaps adds a certain type of value to your thoughts and experiences. It implies reflection at the least, and is often coupled with observation and/or experience, and can help give meaning to these thoughts/feelings/experiences.

G. What importance might philosophy have in your future?
Who knows!!!

Notes:

Relevance of Greek philosophy to modern times: At the time of Socrates/Plato, Greeks were transitioning from an oral to a literate culture, and people were beginning to question the myths that had been passed down over time. Now we are shifting from a literate culture to an electronic culture and "We are at the beginning of a period in which we are attempting to develop a morality for the new age."

Theory of education - Alfred North Whitehead:
-Romance
-Precision
-Generalization

Belief Systems
Different belief systems and periods: classical, modern, postmodern
--Starting with unconscious acceptance despite inconsistencies; acceptance of ideas from authorities; accept ideas from the desire to please/be accepted; postmodern culture promotes thought patterns that are uncritical and not reflective.
--Philosophy emerges when belief system cannot answer the important questions
--Students go to college believing that all claims are opinions and everyone can believe whatever they want (similar to cognitive development theory), they do not want to be disloyal and reject their belief system and also want to believe in eternal life (i.e. going to heaven).
--Insincere, uncritical tolerance

Thoughts:
Interesting discussion of the Matrix and the blue pill vs. red pill with regards to philosophical thought (& cognitive development?)

DONE WITH CHAPTER 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment