Sunday, June 28, 2009

Last couple days of the Booksale

I managed to make my way over to the booksale both yesterday and today - and I'm so glad I did! Yesterday, everything was half-off and today, everything was 50 cents! I've learned something new about myself - I have an odd taste for non-fiction that nobody else in Hawaii seems to have. -All the books that I put back earlier in the week were still there on 50 cent day! While I am happy I was able to pick these books up, I am somewhat disappointed that nobody else wants these books as I do! Oh well.

Yesterday's treasures included:
Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver (Lucky I found this!)
Simple Abundance - Sarah Ban Breathnach (The words of a friendly stranger standing next to me encouraged me to get this book - only a dollar!)
Cecilia Bartoli - Rossini Heroines (CD) - One of my favorite mezzo-sopranos, and definitely the best when it comes to early music...another lucky find for only a $1.50!
Banker to the Poor - Okay, yes, I have this book already, but here's the story: I find Banker to the Poor in hardback in the economics section. A co-worker/friend had recommended it to me but last I talked to her, she didn't have it yet. I thought I'd pick it up for her. Well guess what? She was at the booksale, too! And she didn't need the copy, but her friend (who she always talks to me about) was at the booksale and so she introduced me and I gave the book to her. It always works out. And besides, it's the kind of book you'd just pass on to another person, anyhow. They told me about a book group that's meeting to discuss it in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Today's treasures:
Moyers on America (Bill Moyers) - I didn't even realize there was a separate section for journalism/media - how did I not find this before? My mother picked up a different Bill Moyers book earlier in the week from the politics section. Perhaps we'll do a switcheroo once she's done.
Development & Social Change a Global Perspective - So this is a text from 2004 so it is slightly out of date, but it was priced at $4! Anyhow, after this class I've become more interested in the digital divide from a global perspective, and I'm hoping there might be some of that in this book.
Can We Talk about Race? (Beverly Daniel Tatum) - I remember when she was "Dean Tatum" at MHC. You had to write an essay just to get into her classes in the psych department because the demand was so high!
Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools (Jonathan Kozol) - I was picking between this and Kozol's "Amazing Grace" earlier in the week. Now, I've got both of them!

The past two days bring my book total up to 16 books and one CD and the cost up to about $22. Not bad! I have to say, as I was picking up those 4 books today, I was feel guilty that I had too much. I already have so many books. I decided it was okay. The education books that are in good condition will be donated to my grad department and others will be given away to interested friends.

The booksale was great fun this year. I look forward to reading all my new books!

2 comments:

  1. never, ever feel guilty for picking up books. you can never have too many. good start for your library! ~LA

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, LA, you might take that back if you've seen the collection I've already amassed - some of which is housed at my parents' place, and some at mine.....

    ReplyDelete