Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thinking about Thinking (and some of the things I'm thinking)

So we're now moving from the psychosocial models of development and moving on to the cognitive structural models. Now that I didn't love the psychosocial models (because I did), but I am extremely excited about cognitive structural theories - after all, that's kind of my purpose of doing this blog in the first place! I love learning and thinking - it is a hobby and an addiction. I am intrigued by ways of learning and ways of knowing, and how people come to know what they know, how people learn new ideas and concepts, and what they then come to decide is important to them.

I have always loved school, books, and libraries. In the public school system, I was one of the lucky ones. As a little kid, I was identified as someone that should be placed in honors curriculum. In elementary school and middle school, I was on this track and it's true that the "highest" classes tended to have the "best" teachers - and that we were basically like a cohort - those in honors English were the same as those in honors math. It just ended up that way.

In high school I became more aware of these differences and made sure I was getting the best education I possibly could, with attending a mainland college as the motivating factor. If for some reason I wasn't placed what I thought was the course I belonged in, I was the first to grab my Stanford Achievement Test scores and march my way over to the counselors office to complain. But even knowing to do that, my awareness of that, came from a perspective of someone who knew that being in these "honors" classes was truly advantageous. What about all the other students that don't know? I'm not saying there aren't learning differences out there because there are. But what about everyone else? What about the students that weren't hand picked early on? What if they want the best education they can possibly get - the best teachers, the best academic track - shouldn't they be able to pursue it?

For me, the most important factors were: 1) parents that valued education a great deal, 2) excellent teachers that pushed me academically and 3) internal motivation. I'm sure 3 is related to 1 and 2.

I've had great teachers through my life, particularly in middle school which are very critical years in education. I wonder about the teachers that have replaced my teachers that have since retired. Are they pushing (and supporting) their students? Are they as passionate about their field? Can their students tell they care? Being able to think critically, and think outside the box were things I was pushed to do. Knowledge wasn't something these teachers claimed to own - it was something they loved and wanted to share. Learning was symbiotic. They cared just as much about what we thought about what we were learning (qualitatively) as they did about how much we were learning (quantitatively). It does seem to make sense that if one enjoys the process they would be better able to grow and learn. Sometimes I think that if I were to become a middle school teacher, I would be able to make a bigger impact on the world than I would in any of the jobs I've ever had or aspire to have.

Being a college administrator or professor is great and you still play a large role in the life of the students at your institution...but I can't help but think of the students that never make it there. The ones that don't have the opportunity to go to college or have the knowledge of what is necessary to help them get there. The ones that don't get adequate support from their family or their teachers. The ones that don't have the social and culture capital. How can I best help these students? Research? Policy analysis? Maybe the best way to help is to actually be in the trenches with them.....

No comments:

Post a Comment